[TriEmbed] ATTiny84A internal temp sensor: how good?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Jan 28 12:08:48 CST 2014

On 01/27/2014 11:47 PM, Scott Hall wrote:
> Are you trying to use it to measure atmospheric temperatures?  It was
> designed to measure chip temperature, to help you program a shutdown
> or minimizing sequence before the magic smoke comes out.  At work last
> year we used it to activate a peizo cooling element as needed, but
> minimized activation for longer battery life.  We always used an
> external sensor for environmental conditions.
I'm trying to understand how calibration relates to the accuracy of this
sensor and the 84A datasheet is worthless for that. Ron Craig pointed me
to exactly the right Atmel app note
<http://www.atmel.com/images/doc8108.pdf> that makes it clear that the
sensor isn't at all linear and to get to +/- 2C takes a pair of
calibration points for *each* span of 10-20 degrees across the range of
interest. I would have guessed that support for temperature compensation
is the aim of this kind of sensor in this kind of chip.

-Pete