[TriEmbed] Fritzing & CAD parts libraries

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Jan 14 14:14:55 CST 2014

Thanks for that, Jon. I was way too harsh about Fritzing and should not
have said what I said because my judgment of this tool is several months
old. But when I tried it then I somehow failed to notice the caveat that
surely lurked in the fine print for that version of Fritzing:

    "We apologize in advance for what you're about to experience as you
try to accomplish much of anything with this 'tool'!"

But that was then, and this is now. Brian's situation, as he explained
toward the end of the meeting, is that he has a well understood,
debugged breadboard design that he wants to turn into 16 completed
devices via custom PCBs. Fritzing may be the best choice if the cost and
shipping logistics aren't a problem. From a learning curve standpoint
Fritzing would be hugely better. On the other hand, it might make for a
fun project to see if we can turn his schematic into an Eagle board file
and have him send it to Oshpark. Brian doesn't actually want to spend a
lot of time with CAD programs, whereas I figure some of the rest of us
might be eager to learn how to use and not use this program.

As far as the CAD parts library situation goes, that could be a subject
all it's own at another meeting. I had to make a CAD description for
both the M41T62LC6F clock chip and the FXOS8700CQ
accelerometer/magnetometer chip mentioned last night. (I said the clock
chip was a M41T62Q, but that's the version in the QFN-16 package that
works with an outboard crystal. The LC6F part is the truely small, metal
package with internal crystal.)

-Pete

PS Bill Farrow: if you're reading this, the reason I haven't given you a
completed FX board is because I've only been able to complete one so
far. I'm finding the solder paste step with a stencil more difficult
than it has any right to be.