[TriEmbed] Surface Mount Components Newbie Questions

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:31:48 CDT 2014


Chip,

You have a point about the automated machines, if the humidity is high the
machines may malfunction. However, I do know of components that have
humidity issues also like some capacitors. It is not the water itself
which, by-the-way, will not conduct electricity, it's the impurities in the
water that is the issue. Humidity can change a crystal's frequency. When I
used to work on transmitters the oscillators were put into a heated box so
the radio/TV station would not drift off frequency. An FCC pink slip would
show up in the stations mail box with a hefty fine attached if the station
frequency did drift.

I usually leave the parts on the ribbon tape and fold them up and put them
in a bag. Too much work taking them all apart and getting them mixed up
with other like parts.

Carl



On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Charles McClelland <chip at mcclellands.org>wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Thanks, I guess I do need to think about static.  I also like you plastic
> bag idea.
>
> On your point about hobbits or professional, let me explain what I was
> thinking.   I assume that the reason many of these components are sold as
> cut tape is to accommodate the hobbyist who wants to order just a few.
>  However, I am assuming that these same components are sold in entire reels
> of tape to the professional who might use an automated machine to place
> them on a board as part of a production line process.  I guess I was
> wondering if it was the performance of these components in one of these
> automated production lines where humidity is an issue.  Otherwise, will
> that sensitivity to humidity be an issue for the component on the assembled
> board?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chip
>
>
> On Apr 4, 2014, at 4:51 PM, Carl Nobile <carl.nobile at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Chip,
>
> The static issue is the one to be very careful about. If you walk on a
> staticky rug then touch a component, say good by to the component. At the
> point where you can feel a shock it is already way too high and will blow
> any static sensitive component. They must be kept in one of those dark gray
> static bags. DO NOT use the pink ones, they're useless.
>
> BTW, components do not know if you are a hobbyist or a professional, if
> the component doesn't like the humidity it will be damaged in either case.
>
> I always keep most parts in sealed plastic bags. If static electricity is
> not an issue, like with resistors and capacitors, you can use clear plastic
> bags. I get them at hobby stores, they come in all the right sizes and are
> pretty cheap.
>
> Carl
>
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Charles McClelland <chip at mcclellands.org>wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I am gearing up for my first surface mount project.  OSH Park has just
>> told me the boards are in the mail and DigiKey just sent me the bill of
>> materials.  I have some questions now that I have opened the box from
>> DigiKey:
>>
>> 1) Some of the components claim to be humidity sensitive.  Is this a big
>> deal for hobby use?  Do I need to keep these in a sealed bag with desiccant
>> or is that overkill?
>>
>> 2) Some of the components claim to be sensitive to electrostatic
>> discharge.  I have yet to fry a through hold component - are surface mount
>> components more sensitive?
>>
>> 3) The components come on tape which will be inefficient to store using
>> the cool storage boxes Pete showed me.  Is there anything wrong with
>> removing the parts from the tape?
>>
>> I went with 0805 components so nothing is microscopic.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chip
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Triangle, NC Embedded Computing mailing list
>> TriEmbed at triembed.org
>> http://mail.triembed.org/mailman/listinfo/triembed_triembed.org
>> TriEmbed web site: http://TriEmbed.org <http://triembed.org/>
>>
>
>
>
> --
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
> carl.nobile at gmail.com
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>


-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.triembed.org/pipermail/triembed_triembed.org/attachments/20140404/b42fbaee/attachment.html>


More information about the TriEmbed mailing list