[TriEmbed] Surface Mount Components Newbie Questions

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Apr 4 17:28:33 CDT 2014

I leave those chips in their bags. Inside with the chips are bags of
desiccants. I'm told that the basic issue is that if the chip absorbs
much moisture then when it goes through the reflow oven it can
"popcorn." I don't need to describe what that means. I leave chips like
this in the bags, then when I'm going to use a fraction of them I put
the remainder with the desiccant bags into airtight containers with the
humidity test strips. This may be overkill.

And as I type this I'm about to test out the low tech hood and vent
system for my oven. This is a very small oven and I have a very powerful
fan pushing air out of the basement, so hopefully I won't have to run
the oven outdoors in the near future.
-Pete