[TriEmbed] Fwd: Surface Mount Components Newbie Questions

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:55:57 CDT 2014

Sorry I sent this to Chip and forgot to click all.

Chip,

The static issue is the one to be very careful about. If you walk on a
staticky rug then touch a component, say good by to the component. At the
point where you can feel a shock it is already way too high and will blow
any static sensitive component. They must be kept in one of those dark gray
static bags. DO NOT use the pink ones, they're useless.

BTW, components do not know if you are a hobbyist or a professional, if the
component doesn't like the humidity it will be damaged in either case.

I always keep most parts in sealed plastic bags. If static electricity is
not an issue, like with resistors and capacitors, you can use clear plastic
bags. I get them at hobby stores, they come in all the right sizes and are
pretty cheap.

Carl

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Charles McClelland <chip at mcclellands.org>wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I am gearing up for my first surface mount project.  OSH Park has just
> told me the boards are in the mail and DigiKey just sent me the bill of
> materials.  I have some questions now that I have opened the box from
> DigiKey:
>
> 1) Some of the components claim to be humidity sensitive.  Is this a big
> deal for hobby use?  Do I need to keep these in a sealed bag with desiccant
> or is that overkill?
>
> 2) Some of the components claim to be sensitive to electrostatic
> discharge.  I have yet to fry a through hold component - are surface mount
> components more sensitive?
>
> 3) The components come on tape which will be inefficient to store using
> the cool storage boxes Pete showed me.  Is there anything wrong with
> removing the parts from the tape?
>
> I went with 0805 components so nothing is microscopic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chip

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com