[TriEmbed] Surface Mount Components Newbie Questions

Charles McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Fri Apr 4 15:38:32 CDT 2014

Hey all,

I am gearing up for my first surface mount project.  OSH Park has just told me the boards are in the mail and DigiKey just sent me the bill of materials.  I have some questions now that I have opened the box from DigiKey:

1) Some of the components claim to be humidity sensitive.  Is this a big deal for hobby use?  Do I need to keep these in a sealed bag with desiccant or is that overkill?

2) Some of the components claim to be sensitive to electrostatic discharge.  I have yet to fry a through hold component - are surface mount components more sensitive?

3) The components come on tape which will be inefficient to store using the cool storage boxes Pete showed me.  Is there anything wrong with removing the parts from the tape?

I went with 0805 components so nothing is microscopic.

Thanks,

Chip