[TriEmbed] Power Supplies

Paul Holzworth pholz at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 18 01:49:01 CDT 2013

The only concern I would have is if the supply is unregulated, the voltage will rise above 12 VDC with a light load.  Unregulated supplies are rated for voltage at the rated current.  If you have a volt meter, you can measure the output voltage without a load and see if it is actually 12.  If it is, you are good to go.  If it goes above that nominal value, it is probably unregulated and I wouldn't use it at much below rated current.  (It could easily be 16 or 17 volts if unregulated and unloaded)  I suspect that given the current rating, you have a regulated switching supply.  If it is a wall wart type, it would be large and heavy if it depended on a 60Hz transformer.  Switchers are smaller and light.

Paul