[TriEmbed] Power Supplies

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Oct 17 06:48:49 CDT 2013

Brian,
    Here's a PTC fuse that you can just put in your PS circuit to limit
your supply to about one amp. If you're using a "wall wart" style supply
it will be fully isolated and there's no difference between the negative
and positive sides of the supply, but in other circumstances you'd need
to put the fuse in the positive side of the supply, usually just before
the power or connector, so best to just do that by habit. This device
becomes an "open circuit" when the current exceeds the trip value, then
goes back to a very low resistance a short while after the current
drops. It beats the hell out of buying fuses and horsing around with
fuse holders.
    However, a few simple tests may confirm that this issue is moot with
your supply because it turns itself off with a short. It depends on the
design of the supply, but for the last several years manufacturers have
found it much better to make a smart supply that saves them from
liability cases vs using a simpler, dumb supply that will just cook in
its own juices if shorted.

Newark part # 06R3405 1.1A hold 2.2A trip Multicomp MC33158 PTC
fuse<http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=06R3405&Ntt=06R3405>

   You can still overheat and "smoke" components with an ampere. This
won't save you from mistakes like getting a transistor almost but not
quite turned on, asking too much of a voltage regulator, etc.

-Pete