[TriEmbed] One final question regarding my solenoid project

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Nov 3 19:50:52 CST 2013

I think we should look at this circuit again. The intent is for
(*output*) pin "IN0" to be pulled to ground to allow current to flow
through the optoisolator and the LED, coupling light into the
phototransister to turn on Q1 and pull in the relay (which presumably
supplies current to the solenoid). When the pin is driven high the
current flow stops and the output pin is looking into the high
resistance of the LED.

But this is annoyingly complex, and now you need a third power supply
voltage.

Instead I think one MOSFET and one rectifier will get the job done.
Here's an example of a MOSFET driving a solenoid. The MOSFET Adafruit
sells has a max on threshold of 2.5 volts, so a Raspberry Pi gate should
turn it on just fine.

    http://learn.adafruit.com/biometric-security-box
    (solenoid circuit at
http://learn.adafruit.com/biometric-security-box/circuitry )