[TriEmbed] Amazon to Use Drones to deliver Packages

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Dec 2 15:50:26 CST 2013

I would start by adding "/wants"/ to the subject line. :-) It's
sickening but true that a fraction of folks will read your wording and
assume this is going to happen (but hopefully nobody on this list).

I have no doubt at all that some huge improvement in delivery methods is
coming, and it might involve drones. But I'm not going to hold my breath
waiting for this particular solution in the short term. People in most
of the world are *fearful* and quadcopters with exposed blades buzzing
around goes beyond my imagination if I factor in human nature and recent
history. But if I pretend that the entire world is populated by Jeff
Bezos clones then OK. And I could imagine lots of simple homing devices
that you get from Amazon and stick in the exact spot you want your
delivery vehicle to leave your package. They would of course also offer
you seventeen flavors of annunciator, delivery within the time window of
your choice, etc for "reasonable" (tolerable) prices.

-Pete