[TriEmbed] Arduinos and the TSA

Ruth Suehle rsuehle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 14:16:37 CST 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Rodney Radford <ncgadgetry at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would not recommend taking the items on the plane as luggage, but as
> long as you are checking it under, you should have no problems.  I have
> carried Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, other development boards, keyboards, mice,
> hubs, power supplies, etc on trips and have never had a problem.

Tom (the other half of tonight's Pi talk) and I have carried on pretty much
all of these things, and I often check them. I generally follow the advice
I read from someone online who said he always packages it in a box from
Make or Adafruit or whatever so it looks like legit electronics parts, and
one person said they always stick a copy of MAKE in the luggage with it,
which probably isn't useful, but can't hurt.

I once got an extra bag search for "too many cables," but other than that,
it's never been a problem, and we've hauled around everything from piles of
Pis and wires and cobbler parts to the whole 3D printer without a problem.
9 times out of 10, they don't even look in the bag. OK, once Tom got
questioned for a pack of stickers that was accused of looking like "chunky
fish," but that wasn't your question. :-)