[TriEmbed] a full custom biz card that runs Linux

Pete soper pete at soper.us
Sun Jun 4 11:40:14 CDT 2023

About 10 years ago OSH Stencils started out selling stencils made of
kapton. The kapton came on rolls and there was curvature in the stencils
such that 80% of the hassle of applying paste was holding the stencil
down as flat as possible. For fine pitch parts it was a serious PITA. I
was told kapton was used because it would cut cleanly. After Matt
(owner) had shipped a zillion kapton stencils he could afford a serious
laser cutter to offer stainless steel. For me this was a cause for major
celebration. The time with the kapton was when stainless steel stencils
from other sources were expensive. Now they are  cheap, as you noted
John. A lot of the stencils I get from Matt are $10. A hobbyist might
flinch at this cost, but IMO it's a small price to pay for the ability
to actually assemble a board vs imagining that one can do it by manually
putting paste to board. One can't actually manually put paste to board
reliably for small parts. :-) Again, my focus is on small pitch parts as
these have become a fact of life and avoiding them imposes a very heavy
constraint on design. I'm preparing to make a flexible board for a
sensor that has 10 pads around it's sides underneath and is 1.8x2.0mm
overall. That takes a good stencil. :-)

A plastic that is dead flat to begin with and that doesn't go bonkers
with a laser (i.e. that can be cut cleanly without the edges swelling)
would IMO make for a cottage industry for somebody because they could
beat the stainless steel prices and perhaps offer comparable quality
results. But I'd have to see such a plastic stencil under my microscope
to be convinced that it can actually compete with stainless steel. My
'scope has a very good camera and I'd be happy to take pictures to share
with the group so we could see what the apertures look like close up.
("Aperture" is the 50 cent term for the mostly square corner holes in a
stencil.)

Pete