[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi idle current vs clock rate(s)

jwet jwet at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 18 20:44:39 CDT 2023

Supply current rises linearly with clock rate.  I =CVF, c is the "dissipation" capacitance = total C of swinging nodes, v is swing and F is clock rate.  There is a small constant leakage that creates an intercept.  The only power is just charging discharging the bus.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Trampas Stern via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> Date: 8/17/23  9:11 AM  (GMT-09:00) To: Peter Soper <pete at soper.us> Cc: Triangle Embedded Interest Group <TriEmbed at triembed.org> Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi idle current vs clock rate(s) There are other chips consuming power beyond the processor: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=152692LANWIFIHDMIetc Typically power increases exponentially with clock rate.  However I bet the OS internally is sleeping the processor when idle, effectively dropping clock rate. I doubt your power will drop significantly by underclocking at idle unless you disable other chips and peripherals.  This most likely does not solve your problem but might answer your question. TrampasOn Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 1:03 PM Trampas Stern <trampas at gmail.com> wrote:https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/power-consumptionOn Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 12:54 PM Peter Soper via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

   Can anybody speak to this? I'm told (by an eager word-guesser aka "ai") that a Pi 4 idles around 575mA. If I drop the clock from 1200 to 600mHz (as low as it will go if my other info is right) I wonder if this will cut the idle current in half or is it likely to be a larger fraction?

    Pete

To post message: TriEmbed at triembed.org
TriEmbed web site: https://TriEmbed.org
Searchable email archive available at https://www.mail-archive.com/triembed@triembed.org/