[TriEmbed] Experience with inspection robot projects?

John Wettroth jwet at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 27 11:46:12 CDT 2022

I worked on a system long ago for the Gas Research Institute (GRI).  It was called a Pipe mouse and they deployed them in many forms and still do.  They looked  like a snake (kind of) and were used for 6” or greater gas pipe inspection- corrosion, etc.  The existing model was just a video camera based system.  They came to my old company (SAIC- Instrument Development Lab) to make an X-Ray backscatter version (our specialty) to look at pipe and joint integrity.  We finished the contract but I think the video ones are still the vast majority.

I like your idea- looks pretty cool and fun.  I wonder if with the price of cameras these days, you couldn’t just point a fixed camera at each of the trouble spots maybe 4 or 5.  I have a bunch (20 or so) of standard definition camera from an old project.  We could make a deal…

Here is a link to some work on “Pipe Mice”.
Regards,
John M. Wettroth
E: jwet at mindspring.com