[TriEmbed] Anyone want to build a open source sidewalk robot with me?

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:38:27 CDT 2022

Hello!

I'm back in NC!  I'm still working on the open source sidewalk robot, but I
got a phase 1 NASA STTR on another project so I have a bit more money to
put into it (from my wages).  Right now the prototype can stay on the
sidewalk, dodge people 80% of the time, and navigate crossings to get to
where you want it to go on the GPS based map.  Pending parts arriving
($#&*! shortage), I intend to build another 5-10 robots so that I can
either get things moving with multiple people (it's trained currently by
driving it and then curating the recorded data) or try to swap to
reinforcement learning where they learn by themselves.

Hardware wise, they are skid steer robots with custom hoverboard motors
with the new generation driven by an integrated STM32 microcontroller
controlling the 4 motors, a jetson nano for compute, a fisheye camera, GPS
and a 20AH LiFePO.

It's an open source project, so other people are welcome to build their
concepts and/or businesses on the platform.  I am also eager to put robots
in the hands of people that will actually help me work the kinks out
(permanently if they did cool stuff with it).

What do you guys think?  Anyone want to work on this with me?

Thanks,
Charlie West

Robot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5yJDzS1PGnt3NNm8