[TriEmbed] Does my Raspberry Pi LoRa modem board look ready to send off to OSHPark?

John Wettroth jwet at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 29 11:05:04 CDT 2021

The microstrip track with all the via fencing looks too narrow.  I assume this is supposed to be a 50 ohm line?  You might check this- I assume this is on FR4 at 1.5 mm (.062”), if so, a 50 ohm track is about 3 mm wide (.125”).  A narrower track will give you a higher impedance line, this line looks more like a 100 ohm line.  If it’s a matching section, ignore my comment, but if its supposed to be 50 ohms, check it.  You might also consider putting some via stitches around the perimeter of the planes- they’re kind of floating RF wise at the edges except perhaps at the top and at the fencing.  I’m sure your initial design will work as is- but the narrow track will create some mismatch loss (range) and the lack of perimeter stitching can cause RF leakage- kind of a slot antenna that will radiate in the plane of the board- could give a squirrelly radiation pattern.  If the module vendor has a recommended layout, I would study it carefully and use it as much as possible.  Also, is any local bypassing recommended external to the module on power lines, etc.?  Something like a 10 nF 0805 and a bulk 1 uF ceramic would seem wise and cheap.  That 3.3v line is an inductor- not so bad really but dying to have a shunt C at the module end to make a proper “bias T” kind of structure.  Have fun.

Regards,
John M. Wettroth
(984) 329-5420 (home)
(919) 349-9875 (cell)