[TriEmbed] Mixing licensed code (problem of the month)

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 20:00:02 CDT 2021

I've never given that a thought. I have a few projects on my GitHub account
that have multiple licences. I've never had any issues with it. A user, as
I remember, needs to pick one and use that with their code, so
theoretically they should never clash because the user is only using one of
the ones the publisher offers.

~Carl

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 9:49 AM Peter Soper via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Crud. Change the first "if yes" to "if no". Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Oct 13, 2021 9:47:03 AM Triangle Embedded Interest Group <
> TriEmbed at triembed.org>:
>
> Is it the case that mixing permissive-licensed code (eg BSD,MIT) with GPL3
> licensed code can get you into legal trouble in some regions of the world?
> What if the GPL code sticks to LGPL3 where you can point to the library
> boundaries between that code and more permissive-licensed code also in it's
> own library (but in an embedded context where static linking is the only
> option)? If yes, is that nuked if your "main" module is GPL3 licensed? By
> nuked I mean rendering the whole program as having to be subject to GPL3
> rules. If the above is hazardous then if all the GPL3 code involved is kept
> in a public repo (or sets of repis that segregate by license type) is that
> likely to satisfy EVERYBODY and render the code non-hazardous to the
> maintainers of the repo(s)? I'm trying to figure out long term legal
> hazards for code that will be used in arbitrary countries (eg the EU) as
> well as in the US, Iran: wherever. This issue gates what off the shelf open
> source can be used vs what has to be written if no OSS code with license
> permissivity flavor X can be found. We could perhaps follow up on this as a
> November "problem of the month" at the November 8 meeting.
> Pete (IANAL)

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer/API Design)
carl.nobile at gmail.com