[TriEmbed] Mixing licensed code (problem of the month)

Peter Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Oct 13 08:46:53 CDT 2021

Is it the case that mixing permissive-licensed code (eg BSD,MIT) with GPL3 licensed code can get you into legal trouble in some regions of the world? What if the GPL code sticks to LGPL3 where you can point to the library boundaries between that code and more permissive-licensed code also in it's own library (but in an embedded context where static linking is the only option)? If yes, is that nuked if your "main" module is GPL3 licensed? By nuked I mean rendering the whole program as having to be subject to GPL3 rules. If the above is hazardous then if all the GPL3 code involved is kept in a public repo (or sets of repis that segregate by license type) is that likely to satisfy EVERYBODY and render the code non-hazardous to the maintainers of the repo(s)? I'm trying to figure out long term legal hazards for code that will be used in arbitrary countries (eg the EU) as well as in the US, Iran: wherever. This issue gates what off the shelf open source can be used vs what has to be written if no OSS code with license permissivity flavor X can be found. We could perhaps follow up on this as a November "problem of the month" at the November 8 meeting.
Pete (IANAL)