[TriEmbed] DIY REFLOW OVEN : 10 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 19:26:16 CDT 2021

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 4:14 PM Dwight Morgan via TriEmbed
<triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> https://www.instructables.com/DIY-REFLOW-OVEN/

Somebody we know and love has done a conversion similar to this. Not
naming names only to avoid the appearance of putting words in his
mouth due to my imperfect recall. Anyway, from what I remember, one of
the main challenges  he had in terms of getting the oven to properly
track the temperature curve was on the cooling cycle. There was enough
thermal mass there that simply turning off the heating element didn't
result in fast enough cooling.

I've been chewing on the idea of building one of these, and find
myself wondering whether or not it would be worthwhile to add some
sort of active cooling system. I dunno, maybe it's overkill. Or maybe
if you found an oven to convert that had a small enough thermal mass
(or you stripped out enough of what  was there) you could get really
good curve tracking. Or, as far as that goes, maybe tracking the
recommended temperature profile *perfectly* just isn't that big a
deal, especially for hobbyist stuff.

Phil