[TriEmbed] Single Cell LiPO Battery Health

Chip McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Fri Mar 5 12:15:30 CST 2021

I am currently upgrading my existing Electron-based counters with newer
Boron-based ones. As I do, I will rework / recycle as much as I can from
the older units to reduce waste. These units have been operating on solar
power for anywhere from 1 to 4 years.

How can I tell if it is time to replace a Single Cell LiPo Battery?

Here is the battery I currently use: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2011

I thought it would be straight forward to test the internal resistance of
the batteries (at a consistent charge / temp) as the resistance goes up as
the battery ages.  However, I am struggling to find a battery tester /
charger that will measure a single LiPO cell’s internal resistance.

I have tried both of these:

- Tenergy:
https://power.tenergy.com/tenergy-5-in-1-intelligent-cell-meter-capacity-checker-battery-balancer-battery-discharger-internal-resistance-tester-esc-servo-ppm-tester/

- HTRC: