[TriEmbed] Electrical Contacts for free Lid

Michael Monaghan mike at chipworks.net
Fri Mar 5 10:15:36 CST 2021

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my "learning project" and hoping someone has chased a
similar issue.  I'm looking for reliable electrical contact in a high
vibration environment.  Need 4 contacts.  Cost and spacing of contact are
blocking issues right now.

Design notes:

   - For a pet feeder with vibrator in the base to encourage kibbles to
   fall into dispensing scoop.
   - Lid is detachable, reversible, and wiggles in seated position until
   locked.  Increased pin spacing to avoid cross connection.  Pin order could
   resolve cross connection concerns.    Contacts on front and rear of base
   for reversed lid.
   - Lid vs hopper wall is roughly 90 degree angle.
   - Some sort of pressure on contact to avoid loss of contact during
   dispensing (vibration).  Reading of sensor is only done once per cycle
   while vibrator is off.
   - Target device is 3.3v rangefinder with 3.3v, gnd, SLA, SLC connections.
   - Contact on hopper should be flat against side to avoid abuse,
   accumulation during refill.
   - Finding $12 per contact solutions.  Would like sub dollar per contact.

I recall contacts in the lid of an older washing machine.  The lid had a
pair of copper pads and the base had two copper fingers those pads would
land on.  When installed, the fingers would bend slightly to ensure good
contact.

Thanks in advance.

Mike