[TriEmbed] OPEN EVERYTHING Re: Raspberry Pi perspectives

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Jan 15 11:18:59 CST 2021

If history is any guide, RISC-V and Linux and maybe Open AI may be three legs of a stool stout enough to support the planet. And keep in mind all initial efforts can't start with a manufacturing run of 10k pieces as RPI did, coupled with their nonprofit (RIGHTEOUS) charter. So $150 is not a terrible price in perspective and having ALL of the source, including maybe the hardware CAD source is heady stuff (but I know virtually nothing about this board's production tool chain yet: maybe it is predicated on access to Mentor Graphics or other ungodly expensive tools, and I especially don't know if any non-righteous firmware is hidden in it, ha!). And notice the board has a lot of apparently fast memory, specialized engines, and maybe other discriminators.But an idealized vision of an effective RISC-V board running Linux with mostly compatible RPI GPIO pinout is in my mind kind of like a start up in the 60s when "firmware" was a bunch of diodes holding the boot loader instructions that anybody with a soldering iron could duplicate, but coupled with the "otherwise almost everything is code" flavor of nirvana, and some tie in with a huge set of ecosystems. The chips will still be black (as in black hole black) boxes to all but a very few on this list, but the implications for unfettered development seem to me as heavy as anything gets. It sounds too good to be true. Where am I being naive or grandiose?PeteSent by my phone with an editing mind of its own
-------- Original message --------From: jonathan hunsberger via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> Date: 1/15/21  11:12 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: TriEmbed Discussion <triembed at triembed.org> Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi perspectives Maybe not a lot of fully open options in the "sbc running Linux" category yet, but..BeagleV recently released on RISC-V.  At $150 it's not really a RPi replacement, but could lead to proliferation of similar solutions at lower cost.On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 1:10 AM Mauricio Tavares via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> wrote:On Sun, Dec 27, 2020 at 10:17 AM Pete Soper via TriEmbed
<triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Here are some criticisms of RPI that this list will hopefully take as constructive. Some good tech details that many of us may have been unaware of.
>
> https://ownyourbits.com/2019/02/02/whats-wrong-with-the-raspberry-pi/

      I was not aware of the everything-goes-through-gpu-blob aspect
of the Rpi4. What are the alternatives? I was looking at the Rock Pi,
especially the N10 for some applications, and then started wondering
if it has as much closed source stuff as the Rbpi.