[TriEmbed] Is that ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1 this time?

Michael Monaghan mike at chipworks.net
Fri Feb 19 16:54:24 CST 2021

As I add more USB devices to my army, I've run into the issue that ttyUSBx
device names are first come, first served.  I knew there had to be a better
way!  This article
<https://medium.com/@inegm/persistent-names-for-usb-serial-devices-in-linux-dev-ttyusbx-dev-custom-name-fd49b5db9af1>
introduces
udev, the Linux system that names USB devices and an easy way to create
unique aliases for each device.  They'll all still get assigned ttyUSBx
based on the fastest electron out of the process scheduler, however you can
alias them to whatever your heart desires.  ttyESP42?  No problem.
SoilMonitor8?  Sure thing.

One issue I ran into is my cheap clone manufacturer's love affair
ATTRS{serial}=0001.    While the article relies on ATTRS{serial} to discern
the unique device, this fails when everyone is number 1.  I'm curious if
there is some way post manufacturing to change those serial numbers.
Fortunately I have enough with actual numbers that it isn't a real problem
for me.  For some devices, comparing attributes with diff has helped.

Mike