[TriEmbed] ESP-32 & RP2040

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Feb 18 12:26:35 CST 2021

Thanks to Chip McClelland I finally got off my butt and started using
VSCode. I've installed the IDF plugin and should get a couple boards
with JTAG support soon. My goal is to FINALLY get back to where I once
belonged wrt tool chains. The end goal is to come back up to speed with
gdb while being able to find my way around VSCode when I need to use
that. The only (in my very biased opinion) "real, industrial strength"
IDE I've used in the past few years that I can recall is TI Code
Composer (or whatever they're calling it now). But there seems to be a
lot of momentum building with TriEmbed to explore the ESP32 and RP2040
and I want to leave the "I'm looking for clues about what the heck is
going on" print statements behind. :-) Speaking of the RP2040, I was
floored in a very positive way by the fact that you just load up one
RP2040 with firmware to be the JTAG dongle for the target RP2040. I saw
that, got very happily animated and then thought "well of course you
would!". :-) With that I've gotten so far as to find the script in their
tool chain repo that, when you run it on a RPI 3 sets up *everything*
for a dev environment for the RP2040. Haven't got to using it yet, but
it's looking mighty cool. It's funny to see such a large package in tape
form for a pick and place machine.