[TriEmbed] laptop fan motor control question

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Tue Feb 2 13:34:26 CST 2021

On 2/2/21 1:15 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed wrote:
> The DC resistance
> between any two pins with any polarity is much higher than I would have
> expected: thousands of ohms.

Others have already mentioned:
  - It's probably a brushless motor
  - Three wires are probably power, ground, and tachometer

The reason you see an unexpectedly high resistance across the power
leads is because there are active electronics inside the thing to
commutate the brushless motor.  You're not measuring a motor winding.

I say if you have a red and black wire, hook that up to +5 VDC and see
if she spins.

-B