[TriEmbed] OT: RF questions

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Tue Sep 29 12:33:42 CDT 2020

<snip>

Hi responders!

Thanks a lot for your input!  I knew I could count on the community's
expertise.  Here's some more detail and why I don't want to go with
anything but a vertical dipole (I forgot to mention it was a vertical
dipole).

Space is at a great premium, and ease of setup/teardown is critical.  I
don't have room for an antenna with a 0.75-meter-radius circular
footprint (e.g. a 1/4-wave monopole with 45-degree reflector elements).

Range is almost not an issue.  The idea is to transmit from a literal
signpost to a car parked at most 20 feet away.

None of the audio is live; it's all prerecorded and simply triggered by
an actor in the scene in order to synchronize with the arrival of a car.

With five scenes, we can have a five-car pipeline; that is, five guests
each at a different point in the program.  The point of switching among
frequencies is to have a single guest not have to re-tune at each scene;
rather the transmit frequency "follows the car" so to speak.  This is
also to reduce interference between scenes.

My design intent is to have the feedline as short as possible (on the
order of centimeters) so as not to have to worry about transmission line
effects.  The radio circuit will be mounted to the side of the signpost
at the dipole feed point.

So the dipole will be oriented vertically, with the "ground" side down,
and positioned without any elevation.  I've dropped a couple very crude
drawings here:

Bird's eye view of the layout:
https://imgur.com/wcjO41M

And a plan & elevation view of a signpost:
https://imgur.com/a/ZXTW5eF

I guess at this point what I'm really wanting to hear is mainly "that'll
NEVER work!!" or "yeah, that oughta work ok". XD

Cheers,
-B