[TriEmbed] Powering ESP32 from an 8v golf cart battery

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 09:12:05 CST 2020

For linear regulators like the 78xx series you have a minimum 2-volt drop to
account for the B-E junctions of 2 transistors and the drop of a zener diode
(emitter-follower series current pass element, error amplifier and voltage
reference).  So for a 5V regulator, you need to provide a minimum 7V input; for
a 3.3V regulator you need a minimum of 5.3V, and so on.

There is a recent article in Circuit Cellar magazine, Issue 364, Nov. 2020:
"Voltage Regulators: Beat The Heat", pg. 60 (From The Bench column by Jeff
Bachiochi), that explains about this.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA

/Although kindness is rarely a job, no matter what you do it's always an option./