[TriEmbed] Powering ESP32 from an 8v golf cart battery

Kevin Schilf kschilf at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 15 21:57:23 CST 2020

 Hi Paul,
To answer your question about minimum input voltage, you need to think about Vdropout.
You apply a Vin and expect the Linear Regulator to provide Vout.  Vdifference (Vin - Vout) is dropped across the pass element inside the regulator which works like a variable "resistor."  This is why the linear regulator while small, simple, and quiet can be very inefficient (short battery life).
Ex.  Vin 9V, Vout 5V, Vdifference = 4V

44.4% of the power is consumed by the regulator (4 / 9)
As the input drops (battery), the efficiency increases until Vdifference approaches Vdropout.  Vdropout is a function of load current and specific regulator.  In the LDO you mention, Vdropout is 100mV at a current of 100mA.  This is an effective dropout resistance of 1 ohm.
When Vdifference <= Vdropout, the regulator is no longer regulating.  It becomes a fixed in-line resistor between the battery and the load about 1 ohm in this case.

Sincerely,
Kevin S.