[TriEmbed] Designing a LiFePO4 battery charger

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Mar 22 14:27:12 CDT 2020

Hi Charlie! Jenny, Emily and I are well and happy.

Your circuit made me chuckle, 'cause when I was thinking of your earlier
posting I was going to share the scheme I intended to use for charging a
capacitor with a string of microbial fuel cells by switching then
between parallel and series connections. But that was at silly low
currents were analog multiplexer chips would work. But the prototype was
using relays. If you're interested I could dig up the schematic.
Definitely the Rube Goldberg approach with relays, though, but your "one
battery at a time" requirement would make it simpler. :-)

Your schematic implies wanting to just charge one battery at a time, but
I can't see your circuit working past an initial point. But I think it's
in the right direction. (Nit: your schematic symbols are for some kind
of very generic FET transistor and I'm sure you'd be using high current
ones with body diodes, right? Bigger nit: if there were part numbers we
could more easily reason about the wiring).

So numbering the transistors from left to right as Q1-5, then with Q2
and Q3 off but the others on, that's "normal mode", right? With Q1-3 off
but Q4 and 5 on a lower voltage could charge the third battery. But I
don't see how you go beyond there with this circuit.

Or am I misunderstanding this? At a minimum you'd have to arrange for
your single-battery charging voltage to reach the positive sides of the
first two batteries, right? So maybe have Q6 and Q7 between the right
side supply and the "positive side" of Q1 and Q3, using the Q3 and Q5 to
disconnect paths as needed and then perhaps a  Q8 and Q9 to select
between running the system to conduct the higher "all in series" battery
voltage to the load and the lower, charger voltage to the one of three
batteries. That is, a SPDT switch above the rightmost net going upwards
in your schematic.

Alternatively, figure out how laptop batteries are handled. They seem to
be always one big series connection, but maybe the extra connection pins
we see are for this same approach? I have no clue about that.

-Pete