[TriEmbed] Need a PDP 11 of your own?

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 15:43:34 CST 2020

Yet another happening at UConn in the 70s.

The DEC machines were in a lab owned by the EE department. The university
computer center had two machines, an IBM 360 Model 65, and an IBM 1620.
The 1620 was the first computer I programmed.  It originally had a paper
tape reader punch, which was removed to an IBM 1627 plotter, a version of a
Calcomp plotter.  I remember that you could plot from Fortran using the
PUNCH PAPER TAPE instruction.  We had a lunar orbiter game which used the
plotter and the four sense switches on the 1620 console to turn thrust on
and off and control it's direction.

The EE grad stunts coopted the paper tape reader punch and attempts to
interface it to the PDP-8 with plans to use it for a paper tape OS.  As I
recall they got it far enough to be able to start and stop the beast, but
gave up because they couldn't figure out how to slow it down so that the
data rate was slow enough for the PDP-8 to consume.

Rick DeNatale

Google+: +Rick DeNatale <https://plus.google.com/102541178931067955550>
Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale