[TriEmbed] wireless communications and battery life

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Jan 8 11:11:01 CST 2020

About a year ago I was forced to deal with a use case for a 900Mhz
transceiver putting roughly 20mW that called for it to be inside an
aluminum beer tap handle. It was astonishing how well it worked, with a
range of a couple dozen feet. But it had a large hole in the end, and it
was driving a full size dipole antenna, not the little chip antennas or
zig/zag PCB quarter waves the folks on this list are likely to be
using.  A closed metal mailbox would pretty much guarantee frustration.

-Pete AD4L