[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster sanity check

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Tue Jan 7 11:01:41 CST 2020

An extra cent I forgot in the last message:

The DC to the motor, in addition to being rectified right there at the
motor, is unfiltered -- it just looks like an AC waveform with the
negative half flipped over.  PWMing on that will not have the expected
result, depending on how the PWM cycle lines up (or doesn't line up)
with the DC pulses.  Consider the difference of a 25% duty-cycle PWM
waveform lining up perfectly with the peaks of the DC waveform, versus
lining up perfectly with the zeroes.  Now consider if the PWM waveform
is ever-so-slightly out of sync with the DC pulses: the PWM "on" window
will slide along the DC waveform, and the output power will vary over
time.  It's definitely not the same as applying PWM to a constant DC
supply.

The earlier discussion regarding using a PWM period equal to the AC
half-cycle time along with an AC switching element that has a zero-cross
detector (e.g. many, if not most, SSRs) is probably the most reliable
way of modulating the fan power.

Cheers
-B