[TriEmbed] Circuithub, Macrofab & other quick turn assemblers

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Aug 21 17:54:11 CDT 2020

Thanks, Craig. The instant quote mechanism is handy. I was very
surprised that a 32k crystal isn't one of their standard parts but less
surprised about the three other non-vanilla components on the board I
plugged into the quote mechanism. One I can mention is the new JST "NSH"
connector. it's only very slightly longer than the SH and taller. But
the mating connectors have an easy release tab. For those who have
broken fingernails removing SH connectors it's pure heaven.

At quantity 80 that would easily fit on a single panel the per-board
assembly cost (i.e. not including the cost of the components or the PCB)
is $7.47. This is a board measuring 19x12mm with 14 total components.
(On behalf of my client) Ouch. On the other hand, it's currently costing
the client a lot more than that and no quantity of cash could cause me
to assemble 80 of these boards without having the magical pick and place
tool, the magical stencil cleaner, magical self-prepping squeegee, etc.
But this exercise makes me realize panelization plus a vacuum tool that
actually works could be be a game changer. On the other hand, one of the
parts has to be placed under a microscope and it would take practice to
place a bunch on a panel without knocking them around (e.g. where do I
put the heel of my hand if a board with paste is in that spot?) This is
unexpected food for thought. I'm doing the same exercise with the other
two and will report back.

Thanks,
Pete