[TriEmbed] Old computers

Robert Mackie rob at mackies.org
Mon Aug 10 02:10:02 CDT 2020

Rodney,

Oddly enough, I see the photos attached.

re:  a mechanical delay line

My dad worked for IBM way back in the day, as an electrical engineer.

He left me copies of a few of the patents on which he was listed as an
inventor. One of them is exactly such a device, used at the edge of
telephone switching networks (I think - edge of some network anyway) to
hold state. Much cheaper than core memory for the time, and could hold 2048
bits, with a latency of something like 50ms. Somewhere I have the paperwork
for the patent application. Now I'm curious if it was a refinement or the
first of its type. Never thought about it before.

But this is one where he had kept a physical example, one they had to cut
open during testing. I knew exactly where it was so I just snapped a photo
with my phone:

http://mackies.org/mechanical_delay_line_dynamic_memory_ibm.jpg

Figured it would be interesting to see and compare.

Rob.