[TriEmbed] Virtual Vintage Computer Festival

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 22:01:46 CDT 2020

I watched the Virtual Vintage Computer Festival today and really enjoyed it
and thought some on this list would enjoy some (all?) the sessions.

You can see them on their Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageComputerFederation501c3/videos

Some of the highlights (to me) were:

* two talks on the ENIAC - how it worked, real issues found, etc (I ordered
the ENIAC technical reference manual reprint mentioned in the video)
* recovering magnetic media from tape
* retroshield for the Arduino Mega - he uses the Arduino to handle the RAM,
ROM, IO, etc, but then plugs in a real CPU chip and he has adapters for
several of the 4 and 8bit older CPUs
* Sol 20 - but this one is special to me as I own a Sol 20  ;-)
* MIT Whirlwind system
* Apollo DSKY - making a real Apollo display work
* Advanced 6502 programming (great description of the architecture and I
ordered both of the books mentioned)

But honestly, there was not a single presentation that I did not find
fascinating. So if you have the spare time and want to learn about older
computers, please take a look at the videos.

I have attended a few other virtual conferences in the last few weeks, and
plan to attend more as they become available (virtual vintage computer east
will be in October)