[TriEmbed] Looking for recommendation

Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright at pobox.com
Tue Apr 14 10:06:35 CDT 2020

Interesting this came up as I was about to try out some of the open
source solutions.  For 3d printing I always use OpenSCAD as all the
things I print are described simply but combining cubes, cylinders, etc
or can be made by extruding a 2D profile.  I can whip out most things in
no time.

I'm making a platform for a telescope so it will track the sky (called
an equatorial platform
http://www.reinervogel.net/Plattform/Plattform_e.html) and have worked
out all the dimensions and would like to mock it up to verify before
cutting wood.  I tried FreeCAD as I like the idea of using python to
construct the model but the learning curve appears to be fairly
substantial and honestly I think I could make a 1/3 scale model from
foam board significantly faster.  Also the UI felt glitchy and snapping
didn't seem to work consistently.  I was running a 18.0.3 snap version
for ubuntu which perhaps is part of the problem.

I've used sketchup and it took almost no time to get a model in it but I
really don't like using cloud based tools.

I basically want the open source equivalent of turbo cad from years ago
that I could quickly throw together stuff.

All the components of the platform are rectangular boxes or arcs so
nothing fancy needed.  I just want to put them together to verify
dimensions and things will roughly fit/align.

Curious what open source solutions people are using for these tasks.

Michael Fulbright