[TriEmbed] Cross-posted: Thread on selecting NUC, SBC, SOM/COM or SOC for a project

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 11:44:52 CDT 2019

I cross-posted these from the SplatSpace Slack workspace, the #electronics
channel,
to enlist additional comments and discussions:

Graham McCullough <https://app.slack.com/team/UELPJH9L6> Oct 3, 2:31 PM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570127515062100>
Nuc-like, I guess.  I mean, 3-times what you'll spend on a pi, but also
x86, includes a case, and has real ethernet/wifi built in:
https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Desktop-Computer-Windows-Mounting/dp/B07VN6DF6Q/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=nuc&qid=1570127464&s=gateway&sr=8-20&th=1

Scott Hall <https://app.slack.com/team/UEDBFHME2> Oct 3, 4:21 PM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570134105064900>
Check out this comparison of single-board computers:
https://all3dp.com/1/single-board-computer-raspberry-pi-alternative/
   Raspberry Pi Zero W
   Onion Omega2Plus
   Rock64 Media Board
   PocketBeagle
   Arduino Mega 2560
   Le Potato
   BBC micro:bit
   Pine A64-LTS
   Banana Pi M64
   Odroid-C2
   Orange Pi Plus2
   Rock Pi 4 Model B
   NanoPC-T3 Plus
   Odroid-XU4
   Asus Tinker Board S
   LattePanda
   Minnowboard Turbot Dual Ethernet
   BeagleBoard-X15
   Huawei HiKey 960

Or for that matter, this comparison list:
https://www.slant.co/topics/1629/~best-single-board-computers

Here's another comparison list, but I don't trust ZDNet's bias anymore:
https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/top-12-raspberry-pi-alternatives-2018-edition/2/

Right now I tend to use a R-Pi Zero W running Ubuntu Embedded or Ubuntu
Server for things like VPN links, DNS/DHCP serving, SNMP serving.

Ben <https://app.slack.com/team/UNHNSSC6B> Oct 3, 4:43 PM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570135432067700>
Yeah, I've done all the reading on SBCs. Good lists nonetheless

Scott Hall <https://app.slack.com/team/UEDBFHME2> Oct 4, 11:12 AM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570201951070000>
Besides just SBCs, consider SOMs (System on Modules).  Here is one site's
comparison:
https://www.compulab.com/products/computer-on-modules/arm-system-on-module-som-comparison/The
thing to consider about SOMs over SBCs is that you now need to add some
external "outrigger" circuitry to do what you want, and you are usually
stuck with the vendor's OS distro.

Graham McCullough <https://app.slack.com/team/UELPJH9L6> Oct 4, 11:14 AM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570202046071000>
Eh, those ARM-A cores should be able to run just about any flavor of linux
you like if you have a jtag flasher

Scott Hall <https://app.slack.com/team/UEDBFHME2> Oct 4, 11:14 AM
<https://splatspace.slack.com/archives/CECJGKREV/p1570202050071200>
And you will likely have to solder an unwieldy chip onto another board.

These are the ones I tend to turn to on the job, but again not as cheap as
most SBCs: https://www.embeddedarm.com/products/category/computer-on-modules
 & https://www.digi.com/products/embedded-systems/system-on-modules

And these:
https://www.variscite.com/variscite-products/?msclkid=f27db97388cd107c441de4e4d732bded&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=North%20America%20general&utm_term=system%20on%20module&utm_content=system%20on%20module

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com