[TriEmbed] Atmega328PB has more stuff in it than the 328P

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Oct 1 20:20:54 CDT 2019

I was shopping for a high temp Atmega328 when I noticed there are two
choices where I expected just one. There is a "328PB" chip that has more
peripherals than the familiar 328P part. The PB has a second I2C port,
four more PWM channels, a second UART, two extra 16 bit counters,  and
some kind of extra touch sensing capability. Q1 cost for the 328PB from
Digikey is $2.14 vs $1.46 for the 328P (32 pin TQFP package with 85C
temp limit).

Also, Pololu has Ardino IDE support for a chunk of the additional
functionality according to this page <https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J74/4.4>.

Here are summary pages that are easy to compare with. The "port
multiplexing" tables are especially nice for figuring out what pins can
do what.

Atmega328PB Summary <http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/eATmega328PB
Summary Datasheetn/DeviceDoc/40001907A.pdf>
Atmega328P Summary
<http://www.ozeki.hu/attachments/473/ATmega-328P_Summary.pdf>

Finally, the second USART port of the PB is actually labeled as the
second SPI port. Not sure if this means there are actually three SPI
ports possible. (With the P part the USART can be configured for SPI.
Details here <https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=100997.0>.)