[TriEmbed] Battery Power for Projects (informal survey)

Tadd Torborg tadd at mac.com
Mon Nov 18 17:14:19 CST 2019

I'm using a 2.5amp-hour 12v Gel Cel - PS-1220  Costs $10 in quantity 10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y9FT5K

I'm using it as a backup supply to keep a Raspberry PI alive if the main 14.2v supply goes away.  I have the two main and battery diode ORed through a bridge rectifier to a DROK switcher supply which outputs 5.2v on USB to run the Raspberry PI 4B.  Another leg of the bridge rectifier provides 13.8v only from main supply, which I run through a 10watt 50ohm resistor back to the +DC lead on the gel cel.  This gives me a really cheap trickle charger.

Objectives:
1. feed stable power to the Raspberry PI with 5.2v even if main supply glitches or goes off

2. run off a main power supply supply which can also feed power to 12-15v peripherals

3. have backup capability for at least several hours of running the Raspberry PI 4 and it's daughter cards.

4. be cheap

5. be easy to get now and into the future

Details on the trivial circuit are here:

http://tarpn.net/t/builder/builders_robust_power_for_raspberry_pi.html

  Tadd / KA2DEW