[TriEmbed] Good article on how to solder surface mount parts

Robert Gasiorowski rgresume at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 14:13:48 CST 2019

I would have to disagree with few things in that article.
First, I would use smaller tip, he's using what looks like 1/16", I would
use 1/32" or even 1/64". 1/16" is OK, but it's harder when working with
TSSOP and smaller.
Solder looks like 0.031, which is OK, but 0.02 or even 0.015 would be much
better.
I would never use wick to remove solder from SMD components, leaves resin
and you can easily overheat traces. Flux works wonders for soldering and
removal of excess of solder.
Oh yeah, use flux when soldering SMD parts. I have extra if anyone needs
some (I can spare ~2L, which will last few people forever :) )
Removing chips with a box cutter? That's a recipe for damaging PCB traces.
Use heat gun, they are not that expensive.