[TriEmbed] best tool for automagic interaction with USB serial ports

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Feb 28 11:32:25 CST 2019

On 2/28/19 11:54 AM, John Vaughters via TriEmbed wrote:

> >I'm struggling to understand what you mean exactly by serial number in this context.
>
> Yes, FTDI has a unique serial number. Although I have heard of
> duplicates, but that would not be the norm. I cannot speak for other
> USB chip sets.

And TI puts the XDS110 1-8 character ID string in this serial field, so
I'm golden for that. The Beaglebone interfaces might be programmable and
I'll be researching that. Out of the box I get nothing interesting out
of lsusb -v. The proprietary gadgets have FTDI FT230XQ chips in them but
lsusb -v doesn't show a meaningful serial number for them either,
despite the chip datasheet claiming there is one. Maybe I just need
explicit rules for the Beaglebone and  special devices?

But I'll obviously be able to leverage Udev much more than I thought!

Thanks,
Pete