[TriEmbed] thoughts on LoRaWAN

Mike Lisanke mikelisanke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:27:22 CST 2019

Charles made the point that the Lora device network was Not IP (v4 or v6)
and Yes the LoraWan is what's needed to marshal packets to the Internet...
you can think of it as a BLE, Zigbee, ZWave etc mesh doing its own routing
but relying on nodes which work to interface the Internet... That's unlike
Thread protocol (IPv6) and WiFi devices (v4 or v6) which route to a device
node.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:59 AM Kevin McClaning via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> I have played around with the Semtech SX1262 and SX1276 ICs. They handle
> most of the unpleasant physical layer stuff by themselves (e.g.
> generating/checking CRCs, generating the spread spectrum waveforms,
> detecting preambles, etc). On the transmit end, you just hand them your
> data. At the receive end, they interrupt you when they have a packet ready
> for you. You still have to handle all the higher-level OSI stack stuff
> yourself. I image that's where the LoRaWAN stuff comes in but I don't know
> much about that.

> On 2/6/2019 11:05 PM, Mike Lisanke via TriEmbed wrote:
>
> You can find the Charlotte IOT meetup channel on youtube and watch the
> presentation on Lora + LoraWan by Charles Lord that happened Tuesday
> evening. He had slides on equipment he used including gateways.
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM Alex Davis via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>
>> Anyone using LoRa or LoRaWAN in a project? I would like to play around
>> with some asset tracking ideas and have been somewhat frustrated by
>> Particle and their LTE-M Boron product. I actually don't think I need
>> LTE-M, 1 KM range would be fine. Further, it would be nice to not have to
>> pay a monthly fee for each SIM card.
>>
>> Is there a LoRaWAN gateway anyone would recommend? I've been looking at
>> this thing:
>> https://www.tindie.com/products/TleraCorp/long-cricket-loralorawangnss-asset-tracker/#specs
>> as a sort of mostly-ready-made asset tracker.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>>
>> --
>> "The theater of noise is proof of our potential."
>>
>> You won't find me on Facebook.

> Best regards,  Mike

Best regards,  Mike