[TriEmbed] GPS/RF issue

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Tue Apr 30 09:33:52 CDT 2019

Hello from the North!

I'm still working on the golf course robot.  Recently I've run into a
rather odd issue.  When I put everything together for my 1/8 scale RC car
platform, my GPS module refused to converge.  I spent a solid 4 days
debugging it only to eventually discover that the problem appeared to be
that my USB 3 camera was putting out large amounts of RF interference of a
spectrum suitable to interfere with my GPS even when there was a metal
ground plane between the GPS and the rest of the equipment.

Eventually, a combination of wrapping the camera in metal tape, placing the
GPS with a ground plane elevated way above the rest of the robot and
wrapping the camera's cable in aluminum foil finally got the GPS to
converge.  The only problem is, the accuracy of the GPS is far worse than
in the previous version of the robot.  Originally, I got within a 2-3
meters with an occasional drift.  Now it squiggles all over the place.

Does anyone know what I should try next to get decent performance and/or
hunt down any interference for the GPS?

Thanks,
Charlie West