[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:03:24 CDT 2018

Brain,

The popcorn poppers often use a secondary heating coil as a dropping
resistor to drop the incoming AC line voltage down to the voltage needed by
the motor. The four diodes around the motor power terminals make a full
wave bridge rectifier to convert the now lower voltage AC to DC to drive
the motor. There is no filter capacitor after the full-wave bridge so the
motor is getting pulsed DC, but the motor doesn't care. The inductance of
the motor and the rotating mass do serve to smooth the current a little.

Shane