[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:32:25 CDT 2018

Craig,

A hot air roast should take much less than 30 minutes. It was cool this
morning and I roasted two batches, both to medium City Roast (just past the
end of the first crack), and each was less than 6 minutes. I am using a
vintage unit but have had similar performance from other devices. It sounds
like your old air-popper may have had a temperature limit that kept it from
getting hot enough. I did have one popper model that I had to hack into and
bypass the low-temperature thermostat (but it still seemed to roast slow
and did not last as long a unmodified units). In an air popper the roast
should happen so quickly that it is easy to keep an eye on it.

I put some notes about my current roasting/cooling setup into a blog post.
My controls over the roaster are adjusting the recirculation of heat to
increase the temperature of the air going into the popper and controlling
the ventilation with a bilge blower. I think the photos show most of the
details. I hope it makes sense. Ping me if you have any questions.

http://fettricks.blogspot.com/2018/10/roasting-coffee-with-hot-air-poppcorn.html

Shane