[TriEmbed] Coffee roaster

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Oct 24 12:13:05 CDT 2018

Oh, and on this point:

> I already have a IRF510N MOSFET. Can I use that instead of a IRF540N?

Looking at DigiKey's parametric search, it seems at a glance that the
primary difference between an IRF510 and an IRF540N is Source-Drain
current limitations (the Instructables author incorrectly refers to the
MOSFET's connections with BJT terminology).  The 510 in a TO-220 case
handles about 5 A, while the 540N in the same case handles 33 A.  One
would have to make measurements of the fan motor to determine the actual
current it will draw, to decide whether the 510 is a suitable part.
Inductive loads like motors tend to have large inrush currents, so you'd
probably do well to err on the side of over-spec'ing the part, since
it's being used to chop DC for PWM (meaning higher average current
through the motor).

Cheers!
-Brian