[TriEmbed] [TAR] [TAR Meeting Thursday Oct 11 2018 at 6:30pm - NCSU EB1 1005]

Mahesh Balasubramaniam maheshba2005 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:21:25 CDT 2018

Unfortunately due to bad weather, again this event need to be rescheduled.
Apologize for the inconvenience.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018, 3:27 PM Mike Lisanke via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Mahesh, et.al.
>
> Is there any new status on this meeting? I've been around the Triangle
> today and driving has been slowed but; traffic hasn't stopped completely
> (unfortunately :-p).
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 2:02 AM Mahesh Balasubramaniam via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>

>> Friends,
>>
>> The below IEEE PELS and R&A joint event about *"ABB Robot YuMi
>> demonstration" *from *David C. Sheperd *has been rescheduled* to October
>> 11, 2018 at 6:30pm  (6:00 pm for pizza) in 1005 NCSU Engineering Building
>> 1. * All are invited.
>>
>> Registration link:
>> https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/176086
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mahesh Balasubramaniam
>> IEEE ENCS RA24 Chair
>> maheshba at ieee.org
>> 919-649-6902
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 8:07 PM Mahesh Balasubramaniam <maheshba at ieee.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Friends,
>>>
>>> As first monday 09/03 is a NCSU holiday, we are having *a joint
>>> PELS+R&A meeting on September 13, 2018 at 6:30pm* *(6:00 pm for pizza)
>>> in 1005 NCSU Engineering Building 1*.  The subject will be
>>>
>>> The topic will be "*ABB Robot YuMi demonstration*".* David C. Sheperd,
>>> a senior Principal Scientist & Research Area Coordinator from ABB *will
>>> provide a walk-through of programming Collaborative Robots, including a
>>> tutorial and Hands-on demo of ABB's YuMi robot.
>>>
>>> https://events.vtools.ieee.org/m/176086
>>>
>>> Please refer to "Agenda" and "Event Details" below for more information.
>>> Please note the timing changes based on the joint event, just for september
>>> event. All are invited.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Mahesh Balasubramaniam
>>> IEEE ENCS RA24 Chair
>>> maheshba at ieee.org
>>> 919-649-6902
>>>

>>> *Agenda*
>>> 6:00 - 6:30  Food and networking
>>> 6:30 - 7:30  YuMi lecture and Demo
>>> 7:30 - 8:00  Q&A
>>>
>>> *Event Details:*
>>>
>>> *YuMi® - Creating an automated future together.*
>>>
>>> The new era of robotic co-workers is here. YuMi® is the result of years
>>> of research and development, making collaboration between humans and robots
>>> a reality, but it is also much more.
>>>
>>> ABB has developed a collaborative, dual arm, small parts assembly robot
>>> solution that includes flexible hands, parts feeding systems, camera-based
>>> part location and state-of-the-art robot control. YuMi is a vision of the
>>> future. YuMi will change the way we think about assembly automation. YuMi
>>> is “you and me”, working together to create endless possibilities.
>>>
>>> With the creation of collaborative robots—robots that can safely work
>>> directly with humans due to their inherent safety—we have seen a dramatic
>>> shift in robot usage. Robots now work in many smaller scale laboratories
>>> and workshops, instead of being confined to large factories, and thus are
>>> often constantly reprogrammed to fulfill new tasks. In this setting, the
>>> method for programming must be quick and easy-to-use. In this presentation
>>> David will introduce a new programming interface for industrial robots
>>> that, compared to traditional approaches, is approximately 20%
>>> easier-to-use, 30% easier-to-learn, and leaves users 35% more satisfied. We
>>> will see, via live audience participation demonstrations, just how easy it
>>> can be to program an industrial robot.
>>>
>>> *Speaker Information:*
>>> David C. Shepherd is a Senior Principal Scientist & Research Area
>>> Coordinator with ABB Corporate Research where he conducts research on
>>> topics from developer productivity to end-user programming for robots. He
>>> is passionate about increasing the impact of software engineering research,
>>> which has manifested itself in his professional activities. His day job
>>> serves as a ongoing personal experiment on how to, and how not to, transfer
>>> technology. His open source work has created a  tool downloaded by 47,000+
>>> developers. His recent chairing of five industrial tracks in software
>>> engineering (e.g., ICSE, FSE, ICPC, SANER, ICSME) gave him deep insight
>>> into the challenges and successes of others' transfer efforts. His recent
>>> project, the FlowLight, which had exposure on venues like The Wall Street
>>> Journal and BBC Radio, opened his eyes to the impact of popular
>>> publications. Finally, his position as the Co-Editor-In-Chief of the
>>> Journal of Systems and Software gives him a more permanent platform to
>>> encourage industrial publications. David's career goal is:
>>> To be a champion of impact through service and an example of impact
>>> through projects.
>>>
>>> *https://davidshepherd.weebly.com/about.html
>>> <https://davidshepherd.weebly.com/about.html>*
>>>
>>> Plenty of free parking available at following locations adjacent to EB1
>>> Building.
>>> 911 Partners Way, Raleigh NC 27606 (EB1 entry)
>>> 1070 Partners Way, Raleigh, NC 27606 (Hunts library 0.2m away)