[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi as WIFI client providing DHCP link to Internet via its wired ethernet

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Mar 22 09:36:47 CDT 2018

Hi Brian,

On 03/22/2018 10:17 AM, Brian via TriEmbed wrote:
> This really couldn't be easier, and I've done it myself a time or
> three.  Configuring a Pi as a router isn't any different than doing it
> on any other Linux machine:
>
> - iptables for firewalling & NAT
This RPI will have exactly one function: shipping packets to/from the
downstream router to an upstream WIFI router. What I'd be walling
against, let alone NATing is mysterious.
> - dnsmasq for DHCP and DNS caching
Ditto for the caching. And I actually under-specified this. The ethernet
port doesn't need to provide DHCP to the downstream router (that feeds
the lab's clients with its WIFI). A static IP would be fine. So this can
be even easier than I portrayed it. :-)
> - wpasupplicant for WiFi client config
Yep. But, as they say, "it's all in the wrist". I thought this would be
easy too.

> I could assist personally on Saturday, if no one else has already
> stepped up sooner.
Done! We can follow up off the list.

Best to all,
Pete