[TriEmbed] Using RUST for ESP8266 (or general embedded) programming

Mike Lisanke mikelisanke at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 01:28:25 CDT 2018

I've been to the Rust meetup and didn't find it especially GUI
developer-centric. While I'm not entirely GUI (or UI) disinterested, I'm
certainly not GUI centric.

The only reason I haven't been to the Rust meetup more frequently is that
there are many meetups available in town (which is a good thing)... and I
haven't figured out how to be physically in two places simultaneously :-p.

Rust Is a Systems Programming Language; it can target embedded systems
(with static libraries); it is especially suited to cross-compilation
(which is my primary interest with it)... Many other are interested with
another attribute of the language the call Safety.

I'd be interested in a larger group interested in embedded systems But
think we have to believe embedded systems are (to a degree) an esoteric
subject.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Scott Hall via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> I have a friend at work, Al Bennett (see cc:), who is looking for a
> project to dig into using RUST to program an embedded systems board.  The
> ESP8266 series came to mind because he has some (and they are cheap) and a
> simple lighting control project would be a good starter, but it could be on
> something else.  He is not interested in the Arduino IDE (ie. C++) route,
> or microPython, but is not adverse to using an OS as long as the main
> programming uses RUST.
>
> He explored the RUST users group meetup, but they are mostly web
> designers, and he wants to explore embedded systems with it.
>
> Here are a couple of pertinent links:
> Using Rust in an Embedded Project: A Simple Example [Using the STM32
> Discovery board]: https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/07/08/rust-embedded-
> project-example/
>
> Using the Rust Language on Embedded Projects [Generic 2015 vintage]:
> https://spin.atomicobject.com/2015/02/20/rust-language-c-embedded/
>
> The state of Rust on embedded devices and IoT:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/567fsz/the_state_of_
> rust_on_embedded_devices_and_iot/
>
> Embedded Design Magazine - Alternatives to C/C++ for system programming in
> a distributed multicore world:  https://www.embedded.com/
> design/programming-languages-and-tools/4428704/Alternatives-to-C-C--for-
> system-programming-in-a-distributed-multicore-world
>
> For those not familiar with RUST, here are a couple of links:
> Quora - What is Rust? (the programming language):
> https://www.quora.com/What-is-Rust-the-programming-language
>
> Brightwhiz - What is Rust Programming Language?
> https://brightwhiz.com/rust-programming-language-quick-glance/
>
> --
> Scott G. Hall
> Raleigh, NC, USA