[TriEmbed] ESP32 Help

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Jan 28 02:21:12 CST 2018

Hi Dwight,

   Scott shared a ton of links that have some interesting info, but I
wonder if we're straying from the root issue?

   I was confused by your posting because the ESP-WROOM-32 is a module
and has no USB capability whatsoever. Waiting for a serial device to
show up on your PC would be a long wait. :-) So I'm guessing you're
either using a USB to serial dongle that supplies some amount of 3.3
volt current, in which case the "serial port refuses to show up" is
/100% to do with the dongle and 0% to do with the ESP32 module/, or else
you're using some kind of dev/carrier board that has a USB interface. If
it's the former, then which dongle?? If it's the latter, please let us
know precisely what thing you're using that has the module on it. For
instance an Espressive dev board from Adafruit, an ESP32 Thing from
Sparkfun, a ____ from Alibaba, etc. Point us to an informative web page
describing this thing you speak of, or the corresponding page for the
serial to USB converter being used with the raw module.

   But, in the meantime, let's look at actual power requirements for the
module.  Here's a picture on the Espressif web site
<https://www.espressif.com/en/products/hardware/esp-wroom-32/overview>.
If you click the black box called "documents" on the left margin, then
click "PDF documents" you get a page of stuff. Scrolling down a bit
there is a section for ESP-WROOM-32, including an "ESP-WROOM-32
datasheet" row. If you click "download" there you'll get the module
datasheet
<https://www.espressif.com/sites/default/files/documentation/esp-wroom-32_datasheet_en.pdf>.
Notice page nine where it says the absolute maximum power supply voltage
is 3.6 volts. The absolute minimum is 2.7 volts. The minimum current is
.5 amperes, but the implication is for *everything going flat out*. That
is, both cores pegged doing as much computation as they can manage,
beating on memory, and both WIFI and Bluetooth radios honking as fast as
they'll go. This right here would seem to be a sticking point for that
ESP32-Radio repository issue Scott pointed to: it has "the specific
question", but nothing like your specific hardware. With that thing the
guy's GitHub repo is to do with running the WROOM module, an SPI to
audio board, and a TFT display with god knows how much backlight
current, all off a USB port via some undisclosed carrier board or
dongle, maybe hacking into the 800mA max 5 to 3.3V linear regulator on
the audio board. But this doesn't apply to your circumstance, does it? I
don't think so either. On the other hand, if you've been using a dongle
set to supply five volts to the module vs 3.3 that might have fried your
module since it far exceeds the absolute maximum supply voltage listed
in the datasheet. If you have it supplying 3.3 volts it might be way too
wimpy to supply enough current to your module.

   And it's possible the dongle is being yanked so hard trying to power
the ESP32 module that it's USB serial chip won't function. So a question
(if you're using a dongle!) is whether the "comm port shows up" with it
disconnected from the module but "fails to show up" when connected.

   The standard current limit for a USB jack from a PC or laptop is
supposed to be 1/2 amp and that just happens to be what the Espressif
module datasheet lists as a minimum. Because five to 3.3 volt regulators
just throw away power, 1/2 amp coming in at the USB 5 volt supply level
is only going to give 1/2 amp out at 3.3 volts as a theoretical value:
real chips will be a bit less, but not much less as long as their rated
output current capacity is at least 1/2 amp (the one in the "radio
system" Scott pointed two on the audio board is good for 8/10 amp, so
all but a smidge of the USB port's 1/2 amp should be available). Also,
the real limits for these USB ports are going to vary, and if you're
using outboard hubs some of those might offer hugely higher current for
charging cell phones, etc. But, if you stuck your two series AA cells
across pins 1 and 2 of the module, that might be relevant to a power
issue if the AA cells are totally fresh and not sagging below the
datasheet minimum supply requirement of 2.7 volts.

   Except my hunch the basic problem isn't power (YET), instead it's to
do with communication between whatever it is your PC USB is connected to
and your host OS.

   So, let us know what the exact hardware is (a link to the page
advertising the thing would probably be the best starting point) and we
can focus on whether you need a driver for one of the many serial to USB
chips used on the various carrier boards, or what. I assume you know
about the Windows "device manager" window and you've confirmed how a new
COM is not appearing/disappearing as expected when you
connect/disconnect your USB cable?

   So hopefully once we get a handle on your hardware environment
somebody who has used the same one can chime in. My belief is that until
the ESP32 starts vigorously beating on the WIFI and Bluetooth radios
it's current requirement isn't going to flirt with the 500mA minimum. So
I think you should set aside the battery experiments for the time being.

   But as an FYI, I have the necessary equipment to confirm marginal
supply situations and make precision DMM logs and 'scope pictures and
the like to nail down exactly what's happening if this ends up being a
secondary problem once you get your comm port or serial device to appear
as expected.

   Finally, this is the long winded novelette that comes of going "the
other way" vs asking you, up front, for more information. :-)

   Hopefully you can bring your setup to the February 12th meeting so
proper salivation can be stimulated. The ESP32 is a truely awesome piece
of hardware and I for one am excited to see you working with this and
look forward to hearing more details.

Best Regards,
Pete